Let's Set Some Things Straight About Feminism.

In case you aren't already aware, I'm what my father describes to be a "raging feminist" because I defend myself and other women as human beings and not sexual objects, inferiors or weaklings. I am not one of said "raging feminists" who spends the entirety of their days and nights complaining about how difficult to be a woman and turns every given a scenario into a debate about women: I go to university and I educate myself to be better than that.

Feminism has blossomed lately, and rightly so. It still has its issues, but nothing is perfect. But the 'brand' of feminism, has, in some cases, become distorted and used for misandrist purposes. Ask any well-informed feminist (man or woman) what a feminist is and they will not mention hating men at any point. The Stately Harold recently published a story to its website about a woman who is suing the man who saved her from drowning, because he put his hands on her without his consent and so that's rape. That's not rape. Said woman describes herself as a feminist and clearly wanted to die a gruesome death before being saved by a man.

This is ludicrous on so many levels. I'm proud to call myself a feminist, and have something of a reputation for my passionate 'damn gurl' ripostes. I'm proud to see so many people I grew up with or have met recently jump on the bandwagon and embrace everything that the pure and true feminism stands for. What irritates me is that women like the aforementioned drowner are not feminists, they're misandrists who use feminism because it's an easy cover up. And that's what makes the news, that's what people talk about and consequently that's what feminism is characterised as.

Also, while I'm at it, let's put body-shaming and slut-shaming to rest, shall we? It's neither humorous nor reflective of the real world. This is men shaming women or women shaming other women because of their shape, and attempting to make them feel guilty about the number of people they've had sexual encounters with. There is no logic to it. It's bullying and belittling women for living their lives as they please. And yet it happens. Every day.
What a time to be alive.

Popular Posts